The great American Road Trip is considered a rite of passage and few things in life are more liberating than a road trip in summertime! In no particular order:
1. Route 66, Illinois to California
Reason Why? Iconic Mother Road associated with American psyche.
2. Eastern Shoreline, Asbury Park, New Jersey to Outer Banks, North Carolina
Reason Why? Quaint beaches, pleasant fishing villages, historic sites.
3. Columbia River Scenic Highway, Oregon
Reason Why? Breathtaking landscapes, waterfalls, mountain views and plenty of pull-offs.
4. Big Sky Country, Cooke City, Montana to Red Lodge, Montana
Reason Why? Breathtaking scenery, wildlife, 20 mountain peaks and 10,000 stunning lakes
5. Great Mississippi River Road, Minnesota to Louisiana
Reason Why? The mighty Mississippi River, Huckleberry Fynn country, delta, river boat cruises.
6. Overseas Highway, Miami to Key West, Florida
Reason Why? Feel like you hovering above the water, swim with dolphins, eat fish and chips.
7. Pacific Coast Highway, Monterey, to Morro Bay, California
Reason Why? Mountains, oceans with a thin strip of asphalt in between.
8. Hill Country Highways, Texas
Reason Why? Deep canyons, swift rivers, the world of the movies.
9. Great Lakes, Dunkirk to Cape Vincent, New York
Reason Why? Niagra Falls, lakes and ocean.
10. Maui’s Hana Coast, Hawaii
Source: National Geographic
Reason Why? Picturesque coastlines, verdant jungles, black sand beaches and waterfalls.